Chadar Trek Ladakh Package @₹23000/- Only
From Leh to Leh Book Now
Explore the amazing beauty of Ladakh by experiencing the Chadar Trek. This special journey shows how strong and adaptable people can be, when facing tough, freezing landscapes. Connect with the local communities to understand their unique way of life in one of the world’s harshest places.
Embark on a riveting expedition through a captivating gorge, navigating a frozen trail along the Zanskar River, mirroring a “Chadar” or an ice blanket that reflects the expansive sky above. This experience transcends mere physical accomplishment, offering a deep dive into the cultural tapestry of the region.
Camp in ancient caves, gather around crackling bonfires amidst the biting cold, and confront constant inherent risks, forging an indelible adventure. This journey is beyond a mere trek; it’s a mandatory encounter, encapsulating the very essence of living on the edge and surmounting challenges. Chadar Trek Ladakh beckons you to embrace the wonders of the frozen, making it an unforgettable expedition.
Chadar Trek Quick Guide:
- Duration: 9 days and 8 nights
- Distance: 62 km
- Maximum Altitude: 11,123ft
- Difficulty Level: Difficult
- Temperature: Daytime: -5 to -15 degrees; Nighttime: -15 to -25 degrees
- Best Time: Early January to Early February
- Start and End Point: Guest House in Leh
- Nearest Airport: Leh Airport (Kushok Bakula Rimpochee Airport)
- Last ATM: Leh Market and Airport
How to Reach Leh:
The easiest way to get to Leh is by air, with Kushok Bakula Rimpochee Airport (IXL) being the nearest. This airport connects to several international airports in India, including Delhi. Flights from Srinagar, Jammu, Chandigarh, and other common destinations in India also land here.
Mountain Hikers Exclusive:
Option to change the tour plan Up until Day 3, if you find the Chadar River trek challenging or are declared unfit by government authorities, the first 5 trekkers can choose an alternative package, “Flavour of Ladakh,” at no extra cost. For more details, hit the Send Enquiry button to connect with our destination expert.
Chadar Trek Package 2024 Inclusions:
- 4-night accommodations in Leh (2 Nights in Rooms and 2 Nights Camping at Leh guest house on Double/Triple sharing)
- Camp stay and Vegetarian Meals during the trek (Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner from Day 4 to celebratory dinner on Day 8 in Leh)
- Emphasis on safety, basic comforts, and environmental consciousness during camping
- First aid medical kits and Oxy Meter for any adventure-related injuries
- Qualified & experienced trek Leader, Guide, and Support Staff
- Transportation from Leh to Road ahead (on Day 4) and return (on Day 8)
- Porters for carrying common equipment
- Facility to leave extra luggage at Leh when heading for Chadar Frozen River Trek
- Handpicked Supporting Staff with multiple guides/helpers for enhanced safety and personal attention
- Option for the first five trekkers to choose an alternate experience, “Flavour of Ladakh,” from Day 1 to Morning on Day 4 (on a first-come-first-served basis)
- Large oxygen cylinder (15 ltr) carried for emergencies due to the high altitude of the Chadar winter trek
Equipment Provided on the Trek:
- Multi-layered Sleeping Bags capable of up to -25 Degrees
- Good Quality Sleeping Tents
- Thick Camping Mattresses for insulation
- Kitchen Tents with proper dining arrangements
- Toilet Tents at the campsite
Do’s and Don’ts On Chadar Trek:
- Plan an additional day for unforeseen conditions.
- Inform family about the trek for emergency purposes.
- Carry required medications and a first aid kit.
- Abide by instructions from the trek leader or instructor.
- Avoid littering; carry your leftovers back.
- Avoid flowy and frilly clothing that may hinder movement.
- Do not rely on sports or casual shoes on snowy surfaces.
- Refrain from pinpointing when interacting with monks or locals, as it may offend.
Day 1 Fly to Leh | Arrival
Embark on a flight to Leh, reaching an altitude of 11,400 ft upon arrival. Spend the night at a hotel or guest house on the outskirts of Leh city. Keep your woolen cap and gloves readily accessible, as you traverse the snow-covered Himalayan mountains during the flight. The cold, crisp air of Leh, where only a few shops are open, will mark a stark temperature change. Acclimatize to the weather, stay hydrated, and rest well as you prepare for the Chadar river trek. The night is spent in a guest house.
Day 2 Acclimatization Day
In compliance with Ladakh Government Authorities' regulations, spend at least two days in Leh for proper acclimatization due to health concerns like Acute Mountain Sickness. Explore Leh market during the day, adjusting to the cold temperature, crucial for the upcoming frozen Zanskar river trek. Avoid higher-altitude places and ensure all essentials are in order before bedtime.
Day 3 Medical Checkup | Day of Wild Card Exits
Under Jammu and Kashmir government guidelines, undergo a medical checkup before obtaining clearance for the Chadar the Frozen River trek. Receive wildlife permits, insurance, and other necessary documents. Until the morning of the 4th day, opt for a 'Flavor of Winter Ladakh' tour without additional cost if you decide to withdraw or are deemed unfit.
Day 4 Leh to Shingra Koma via Chilling & Tilad do and Trek to Gyalpo
Altitude: 11,480 to 10,500 ft
Drive for 3-4 hours and trek for 5 hours covering 11 km. Begin your journey to Shingra Koma, witnessing scenic spots like Gurudwara Pathar Sahib, Magnetic Hill, and the Zanskar-Indus confluence. Trek along Zanskar with gumboots, mastering the nuances of walking on various ice surfaces. Reach the first campsite, Gyalpo, situated at a river bend, for your first experience of camping in sub-zero temperatures.
Day 5 Gyalpo to Tibb Cave
Altitude: 10,500ft to 10,800 ft
Trek for 12 km over 5 to 6 hours. Enjoy a warm breakfast before heading to Tibb Cave, encountering beautiful frozen waterfalls and unique rock patterns along the way. Lunch midway to Tibb Cave with Zanskar flowing beside you. Camp near Tibb Cave surrounded by dry sand, as you continue to acclimate gradually.
Day 6 Tibb Cave to Naerak camp
Altitude: 10,800 to 11,100 ft
Trek for 13 km over 6 to 7 hours. Reach Naerak, the most awaited campsite, and witness the spectacular frozen waterfall. The campsite is known for its extreme cold, reaching as low as -30 degrees at night. Wear proper clothing in layers and explore the village of Naerak, camping at a short distance from the frozen waterfall.
Day 7 Naerak to Tibb Cave
Altitude: 11,100 to 10,800 ft
Trek for 13 km over 5 to 6 hours. Begin the return journey to Tibb Cave, witnessing the ever-changing Chadar, where Zanskar River reacts to temperature fluctuations. Observe locals negotiating the Chadar and appreciate their resilience to sub-zero temperatures. Camp overnight at Tibb Cave.
Day 8 Tibb Cave to Shingra Yokma via Gyalpo, Drive back to Leh
Altitude: 10,800ft to 10,300 ft, and drive to 11,400 ft.
Trek for 18 km over 7 to 8 hours. Return to Leh via Shingra Yokma, revisiting the enchanting Chadar one last time. Take note of fresh trails and footprints, possibly belonging to Foxes, Ibex, or Snow leopards. Reach Leh around 6:30 in the evening, with the recommendation to book your return flight on the 9th day. Spend the night in a warm guesthouse.
Day 9 Departure
After breakfast, check out of the guesthouse, and transfer to the airport for your return journey. The Chadar trek package concludes here.